In 1945, the dance tradition began; in a small room above a sandwich shop at 1st and Fayette Streets by Phyllis LeRoux (pronounced ‘la-roo') Gershbach. At that time, her mother accompanied her on the piano and each lesson cost $1.50. Miss Phyllis was an excellent tap dancer, and was wanted by the Rockettes at the tender age of 14, but her mother wouldn't let her go! Instead, at the age of 25 she opened her own dance studio. Their first recital was held in 1945 at the Forest Theater in Conshohocken. They had 24 students who put on a two-hour show. Due to the birth of Miss Phyllis' third child, Bonnie there was no recital in 1946. However, there has been a recital every year since 1947. In 1956 they started recording the recitals - what a task with live accompaniment! Then, in 1957 the school began to use records…then tapes. All recital costumes were made by hand until 1960 when LeRoux began to use ready-made costumes.
Miss Phyllis brought in several ballet tutors from various companies and her daughter Bonnie trained with Pat Taschner from 1955 until 1960. In 1958, Miss Bonnie began teaching at LeRoux, and the Mother-Daughter team worked together until the early 1980's. During that time, Miss Bonnie opened a branch at All Saints Episcopal Church, which is where she met and began to teach, Kelly and Karin Logan (directors of LeRoux in Conshohocken 1996-2009).
In the early 80's the school moved from Apple Street to the Plymouth Square Shopping Center, where it is still located today. In 1985, Bonnie Gershbach Gordon sold the school to Denise Hagan Walsh who continued to teach and train the students of LeRoux, among them a young Susie Anhorn.